Print this page

Ajjur District of Hebron

Israeli occupation date: July 23rd-24th, 1948. ‘Ajjur was mostly destroyed with the exception of three houses. AjjurAccording to the Palestinian historian Walid Khalidi, the village remaining structures on the village land are: “Only three houses remain; two are deserted and one has been turned into a warehouse. One of the deserted houses is a two-story stone structure that has a large, triple-arched front porch.”
‘Ajjur inhabitants were completely ethnically cleansed. In 1931 the number of houses were 566.

The village had two schools: the 1st was a private school known by Abu al-Hasan school, and the 2nd was founded in 1934. ‘Ajjur had two mosques: the 1st was an old mosque which was built during the Fatimid period, and the 2nd was built during the British Mandate period.

Israeli settlements on town lands: ‘Agur, Tzafririm, Giv’at Yesh’ayahu, Li-‘On, & Tirosh.

Land ownership before occupation

 
Ethnic GroupLand Ownership (Dunums)
Arab 44,771
Jewish 0
Public 13,303
Total 58,074

 

Land usage in 1945

 
Land Usage TypeArab (Dunum)
Irrigated & Plantation 2,428
Area planted w/ olives 3,070
Planted W/ Cereal 25,227
Built up 171
Cultivable 27,655
Non-Cultivable 30,248

 

Population before occupation

 
YearPopulation
1596 193
1922 2,072
1931 2,917
1945 3,730
1948 4,327
Est. Refugees 1998 26,571

 

Source: Palestineremembered.com

 

Rate this item
(0 votes)